"Today, in Basque country, most restaurants serve txuleton (pronounced choo-le-ton), a plancha-roasted rib steak of heavily marbled mature meat distinctive for its deep cabernet color, extra-beefy flavor, and thick layer of yellow fat. 'The taste of old cow is very different from young cow,' says Jaca, who prefers very old and very fat cows. 'It tastes of cream, milk, and grass.'"
Googling "txuleton" will take you down a rabbit-hole of mature beef enthusiasts (like this one), but our house will also vouch for getting some of the tenderest and most flavorful roasts from our retired cows. As our herd grows, but our capacity to take in milk and make cheese stays the same, we will have quarters and halves of beef available from time to time.
More specifics on price and process are available below at the "shop" button.
Please use this form to place a deposit to reserve beef. The process is as follows:
- Reserve number of quarters desired (1-4 quarters).
- Call Stanhope Locker (515-826-3280) to choose cuts (roasts vs. ground vs steaks). They will walk you through your options. We will email to remind you to do this.
- Wait for beef to be processed (10-14 days after slaughter date).
- Get a call from Stanhope Locker to pick up your beef (seven-day window).
- Pick up frozen beef and pay Stanhope Locker for processing ($0.75 per pound + fees).
- Receive electronic beef invoice from Lost Lake Farm depending on hanging weight.
Approximate weights are as follows:
X-Large Cow Quarter = Hanging weight will be between 210 - 230 lbs and take home will be approximately 110 - 120 lbs. She is not chubby, just a big breed.
We charge $3.25 per pound for premium grass-fed beef - including steaks, roasts, and 95% lean ground. The deposit counts towards the final invoice. Processing costs are separate and go to the locker. Please choose a size and date below: